It's winter and we need comfort food! But not the fried, heavy, oil laden kind. We need the cozy, healthy, easy to digest, warm your insides, kind! Follow this recipe for a lean option to add to this weeks cart. This is yet another recipe shared from a friend so her comments on how she made it her own are quoted below. I encourage you to make adjustments that fit your preferences.
We didn't follow directions entirely - didn't use squash at all but added a bit of cumin, used only 1 28 oz can offire roasted diced tomatoes, used kidney beans, forgot about celery, added garlic and carrots, no peppers, and prob about half the amount of broth they suggest so it would be thicker. It is banginggggggg!! <3 <3
What you'll need:
- 10 oz extra lean white meat ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2.3 TBS spicy dry chili powder
- 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes or 1 crushed and 1 diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 -1 oz cans low sodium, fat free beef broth
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 green, red, yellow or orange bell peppers diced
- 2 medium zucchini diced
- 2 medium yellow summer squash diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray or use non-stick skillet, place over medium high heat until hot.
- Add ground turkey, chopped onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer mixture to a large soup pot and add chili powder, diced tomatoes, black beans, beef broth and diced vegetables.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.