I was able to meet with Olivia Neely from the Moday Center where she talked a lot about Collagen Proteins, something that has been trending like crazy!
I hear about people adding them to their shakes and at-home recipes so we had to have her tell us more. Below you'll find her feature post from the Moday Center website, our video along with TWO recipes you can try this week! Can't wait :)
"Collagen proteins are something that I incorporate into my daily diet. They are a wonderful source of gut healing amino acids which are so important for … well, basically everything because gut health determines so much about our overall health. Read more about gut health here.
Collagen is loaded with amino acids, which are the building blocks for health. It is also helpful for thickening the intestinal mucosa (thin gut lining contributes to thyroid and adrenal disorders) and provides 12-16 grams of very easy to use protein, which is satiating and very helpful for those without an appetite. They also improve the health of our connective tissue which may help to tighten the skin and improve cellulite, boost immunity, improve joint health, support detoxification, energy, and digestion. Really, we should be giving our gut loving every day and this is an easy way to do it.
Vital Proteins is a brand that I recommend. They use quality bovine sources to make their powders. They have lots of products that are fun to experiment with, however the main two that I believe they started with are COLLAGEN GELATIN and COLLAGEN PEPTIDES. I’ll tell you the difference between the two and share my favorite recipes using each of these!
- The COLLAGEN GELATIN will thicken when dissolved in liquid so it’s a great thickener like when you need a roux for soup, or as an egg replacement for things like pudding, panna cotta, or even as a binder in ice cream, cakes, cookies, etc. My personal favorite way to use it is to make gummies like the recipe I’ll post below.
- The COLLAGEN PEPTIDES will dissolve in both hot or cold liquid but doesn’t thicken. So, it serves as a tasteless protein boost for pretty much anything – salad dressings, eggs, soups, smoothies, yogurt, almond butter, coffee… my all-time favorite recipe is the adrenal healing creamsicle from thewholejourney.com
Gut Healing Gummies
- 2/3 cup Lemon Juice, organic
- 1 cup Blueberries, fresh and organic
- 4 Tbsp Vital Proteins Unflavored Gelatin
Place lemon juice and blueberries into a heavy sauce pan, and heat over medium heat.
Stir blueberries, and allow to cook until the liquid is steaming, and the blueberries are plump.
Place lemon juice and blueberries into a high speed blender, or food processor, and blend until smooth.
Remove the lid, and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Add 4 tablespoons of Great Lakes Gelatin to the blender, and blend again until smooth.
Pour mixture into candy molds, or a 9x9 glass dish, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.
The flavor possibilities with these are endless! Check out some other fun recipes like these….
The Adrenal Creamsicle Recipe (from thewholejourney.com)
- 6 oz. OJ (fresh squeezed or cold pressed like Evolution brand)
- 2 Tbsp. organic raw cream (or coconut cream for vegans/non-dairy)
- 2 Tbsp. Pasture Raised Collagen
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
Blend it up into a delicious creamsicle, shake it up in a blender bottle, or pour into Popsicle molds and freeze.. I personally put mine in a wine glass and enjoy it after dinner as a dessert!
Benefits of the Adrenal Creamsicle:
- Fresh squeezed orange juice is high in folate to support adrenal-fatigue induced depression. It also provides the liver with enough glucose it needs to regenerate while giving quick carbs to the thyroid so it can better work to regulate metabolism (like adding coal to the furnace).
- Pasture-raised raw cream provides the essential immune-boosting, brain supporting fat that will also slow the release of glucose in the OJ enough to provide balanced blood sugar. It also contains a calming peptide, which helps quell anxiety.
- Himalayan pink salt contains all 84 essential trace minerals that the adrenals and nervous system need to function properly. It is also alkaline-forming so it helps support the body’s natural detoxification process.
- This drink contains the perfect ratio of fat, carbs, and protein to balance blood sugar and therefore assist in proper metabolism, adrenal, and thyroid function. "
To learn more about functional nutrition or how to work with Olivia Neely, RDN, LD please click here.